Vietnam visa types by the purpose of visit
Under the new immigration regulations effective July 1, 2020 (Law No. 51/2019/QH14), Vietnam visa is classified into about 21 main types by the purpose of visit, namely DL, DN1, DN2, NG, DT1, DT2, DT3, DT4, LS, DH, LV, LD1, LD2, HN, PV1, TT, SQ, etc.
1. Tourist visa (DL)
According to the new regulations taking effect since July 1, 2020, holders of tourist visas for Vietnam which are valid for quite 30 days are only given a 30-day temporary residence stamp, and that they may extend visas in Vietnam if wishes to stay within the country.
In addition, American tourists to Vietnam have one more option to apply for a tourist visa to Vietnam: 1 year multiple entry Vietnam Visa.
At this time, there are up to three ways to apply for a tourist visa to Vietnam, namely:
- Getting a Vietnam visa on arrival (VOA – highly recommended for those traveling to Vietnam by air;
- Getting a Vietnam embassy visa; and
- Apply for Vietnam electronic visa (only apply for 1 entry per month and only for citizens of 80 countries).
2. Business visa (DN1, DN2)
The second most sought after kind of visa for Vietnam is the visa for business, which is right now ordered into:
- DN1 visa – granted to foreigners to work with other enterprises and organizations with legal status according to the provisions of Vietnamese law.
- DN2 visa – to be conceded to outsiders who come to Vietnam to offer administrations, build up a business presence, or perform different exercises under worldwide deals to which Vietnam is a part.
Like traveler visas for Vietnam, depending on the span and measure of passages, a Business Visa to Vietnam can likewise be part into:
- 1-month single-entry visa;
- 1-month multiple entry visa;
- 3 months single entry visa; and
- 3 months multiple entry visa.
Besides, American tourists to Vietnam have one more choice to apply for a tourist visa to Vietnam: 1-year multiple entry Vietnam Visa.
Presently, there are two different ways to apply for a Vietnam business visa, which are:
- Apply for a Vietnam visa on arrival (VOA – exceptionally supported as there is no requirement for a letter of assurance from a Vietnamese organization); and
- Apply for a Vietnam consulate visa.
3. Student/internship visa (DH)
Vietnam student visa is issued to those who are studying an undergraduate course in Vietnam.
Usually, this Vietnam visa is arranged upon arrival in Vietnam. You can enter Vietnam on a tourist visa, then apply for a change of visa status at the Immigration Office after registering for the course. The simple way to get this visa for Vietnam is to let an agency do it for you.
4. Investor Visa (DT1, DT2, DT3, DT4)
Vietnamese Investor Visas are visas issued to foreign investors in Vietnam. Classified as:
- DT1 - issued to foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam with the contributed capital of 100 billion VND or more or investing in industries and trades eligible for investment decided by the Government of Vietnam. . Valid for up to 5 years.
- DT2 – to be granted to foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam with a capital contribution of VND50 – under VND100 billion, or investment in the business sector in the field of investment support under the decision of the Government of Vietnam. Valid for up to 5 years.
- DT3 – to be granted to foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam with a capital contribution of VND3 – under VND50 billion. Valid for up to 3 years.
- DT4 – to be granted to foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam with a capital contribution of less than VND3 billion. Valid for up to 12 months.
5. Working visa (LD1 – LD2)
Vietnam work visa is granted to foreign people who come to work in Vietnam, like teaching, consultant, professional, etc. It is categorized into:
- LD1 – Granting foreigners to work in Vietnam with work permit exemption papers, unless otherwise provided for by treaties to which Vietnam is a member.
- LD2 – Issued to foreigners must have a Vietnamese work permit to work. This visa type is for Vietnam with a maximum term of 2 years. In case you want to stay in Vietnam longer, you need to apply for a temporary residence card with a maximum value of LD 02 years.
How to get Vietnam work visa?
To apply for a Vietnam work visa,
- You need to request the company in Vietnam for which you will work to apply for an LD visa approval letter at Vietnam Immigration Department; and then
- You will then get a visa stamped at the Vietnam mission in foreign countries or at your port of entry upon your arrival there, depending on the type of visa approval letter you are issued.
- The most important document to apply for a Vietnam work visa is a work permit or written confirmation that does not require a work permit. If you want to apply for this visa but do not have a work permit or a document stating that you do not have a work permit, you first apply for a business visa with the specific company you will be working with. After you have your work permit, you will easily apply for a working visa for Vietnam.
- Usually, applications for Vietnamese labor visas do not require criminal records. • Fee for applying for a work visa in Vietnam includes two types of fees: Fee for approval of a work visa and a fee for stamping at the Vietnamese Embassy or a Vietnamese port.
6. Diplomatic visa (NG)
A Vietnam Diplomatic visa is allowed to
- individuals from a designation visiting Vietnam at the greeting of the Vietnamese services or other high positioned government authorities;
- department faculty in Vietnam;
- the individuals who go for the work with office individuals or visit them for a brief period.
There is no charge for a strategic visa to Vietnam except if it has been chosen by the Vietnamese consulate and the candidate's nation of origin.
To apply for the Vietnam conciliatory visa, the candidate needs to present an authority letter from the nearby government office, departments, or unfamiliar consulates, to the concerned organizations in the candidate's nation of origin. A Diplomatic visa for Vietnam is substantial for as long as a year.
Vietnam visa types by the length of stay and validity
By this criterion, a Vietnam visa is normally categorized into:
- 1 month single entry visa
- 1 month multiple entry visa
- 3 months single entry visa
- 3 months multiple entry visa
- 6 months multiple entry visa
- 1 year multiple entry visa